Re: small bootable CD-image, why not?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 11:06:54AM +0100, Attila Nagy wrote:

> ftp.kando.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian (slink), and
> /pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial (potato).

Thanks, for the kind pointer.  It's nice to get good info.
I should down load it to test it on my system.  That may be
minimum thing I can do for the community.

I still think that these CD images are big if used for remote install.
Not all of contents will be used.  I actually made bare bone bootable
CD image (with some rough edges).

  (see http://home.pacbell.net/aoki/ )

It took only 20MB to 40MB ISO-Image to boot and get Base system installed.

My idea is, if properly made this type of small iso image is default for
remote install people will use less bandwidth on public server.

Making bootable LS-120 or ZIP needs more work than making bootable CD.
But I think it shouldn't be too difficult.  I think including required
files in initrd should do it with some script.  That's really boot issue.

Yes, I now realize that making this too easy for everyone may impact
bottom line of debian project.  If people can not figure out this by
them selves or use slink CD to install potato, may be they should
wait and pay CD.

Best regards,

Osamu Aoki