Re: small bootable CD-image, why not?

I am very strongly behind this.  I supported the Trinux project, now sadly
stalled.  The architecture model was so brilliant that it redefines the thin
client, my basic passion.

A fully operational live CD needs only one thing, a configuration floppy for
/etc.  Another specialization would be a f/s an internal linking system similar
to redirects.  Flash boot, the other boot medias come in after that.
That will by my first product, with a little luck ;)

Please look at my new SIG, PUNY, The Perl/Unix Integration SIG of NY.
http://www.thinman.com/puny

Adam Dicarlo is on board to help distribute GNU linux to our NY business and
educational communities.

BTW, Deb was absent from the NY Linix Expo !?!?!?!

--- "J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>

> > I may have missed it but....
> >
> > I do understand bandwidth wasting of having CD images of full distribution
> > for download.  But I also realize bandwidth waste of "rsync" or "wgets"
> > entire debian tree locally by cheap bustard hobbyist like me.
> >
> > Realistic offer for them is not to create base system floppies but small
> > bootable cd image.  It should be only 20-40MB.  (I personally played it
> with
> > limited success)
>
> Some time ago, there was talk about a bootable ~100 MB image, for CDs, Zips,
> LS120s, etc. Anyone know more about this?
>

> > http://cdimage.debian.org/  tells me go buy CD.  I do not think this is
> kind.
>
> Well, if you want to have the CDs that are offered on cdimage.debian.org (and
> they're all ~600 MB), buying them would be the best solution in your case. Of
> course, this does not apply to something that is _not_ offered (yet) at
> cdimage.d.o, like the mini-image you're proposing.
>

> > Of course installation program needs to be modifies so default download
> > sites are easily selectable and offers random one as first choice.
> > Otherwise everyone use main site.
>
> The installation program is developed by the "boot" team, at
> debian-boot@lists.debian.org. Please post this interesting idea there.
>

> Regards,
>   Anne Bezemer
>

> --