Re: small bootable CD-image, why not?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> I may have missed it but....
>
> I do understand bandwidth wasting of having CD images of full distribution
> for download.  But I also realize bandwidth waste of "rsync" or "wgets"
> entire debian tree locally by cheap bustard hobbyist like me.
>
> Realistic offer for them is not to create base system floppies but small
> bootable cd image.  It should be only 20-40MB.  (I personally played it with
> limited success)

Some time ago, there was talk about a bootable ~100 MB image, for CDs, Zips,
LS120s, etc. Anyone know more about this?

> http://cdimage.debian.org/  tells me go buy CD.  I do not think this is kind.

Well, if you want to have the CDs that are offered on cdimage.debian.org (and
they're all ~600 MB), buying them would be the best solution in your case. Of
course, this does not apply to something that is _not_ offered (yet) at
cdimage.d.o, like the mini-image you're proposing.

> Of course installation program needs to be modifies so default download
> sites are easily selectable and offers random one as first choice.
> Otherwise everyone use main site.

The installation program is developed by the "boot" team, at
debian-boot@lists.debian.org. Please post this interesting idea there.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer