Re: Potato test CDs

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Attila Nagy wrote:

> I have one correction to the potato_pre page on cdimage.debian.org.
> On the page I've read:
> "These test images are available <B>only via rsync</B>"
> But our site (as the most of the Debian mirrors) is accessible with FTP,
> HTTP and rsync too.
>
> So I don't understand "only via rsync".
>
> ps: or is this because everyone want to download with FTP and this is not
> the primary distribution method of debian CDs?

Right. And especially when you're the only one offering images, you don't want
to be overloaded with 650MB requests that can easily be reduced to <10MB.
Besides, these images are "meant only" for Debian testers, who "are supposed
to" understand the workings of pseudo-image/rsync, and know that that's much
faster and highly efficient.

But people are inventive, and I think you'll see some HTTP/FTP downloads even
though that's not advertised on the webpage...

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer