Re: some questions about debian cd image

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> Please DO NOT download via HTTP/FTP from uk.debian.org, especially not from
> Hong Kong! This is guaranteed to fail each time you try, because HTTP/FTP were
> not designed to handle large files (650MB !!) at all.

Issues of bandwidth and mirror use aside, I've always been puzzled by this
statement. How are http/ftp not designed for large files? What's the
difference between a cd image and a 65 MB game demo, or a 6.5 MB song or a
.65 MB image? Certainly a distressing number of client/server pairs choke
when one tries to send gigabytes through them, but surely that's an
fault in the implementation and not the design. Or am I missing something
silly?

 -ralph

--
Ralph_Giles@sfu.ca