Re: slink: Which directory am I supposed to install from?

On Mon, 24 May 1999 13:06:30 +0100 (BST), you wrote:
>On Fri, 21 May 1999 Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de wrote:
>>Both batch files seem to run installation systems that look alike.
>>>From trying a few weeks ago, I think that I remember that running
>>/install/boot.bat yields a running system with kernel in
>>/vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36. I needed to mount the CD to install
>>the base system since /install doesn't contain the base*.bin files.
>
>Hmmm. You'd need to mount the CD regardless.

What if I don't have a locally installed CD drive? I usually copy the
base system to the hard disk and install from there. Sure, it's
possible to have both /install and
/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/2.1.8-1999-02-22 copied to the hard disk,
but this means having significant information doubled.

>>Which directory am I to install from?
>
>You should definitely be using /install.

I see, thanks. Which of the two directories is the one that people
installing from the ftp servers use? If this is the one from the
/dists directory, they'll probably end up with a kernel that does not
have NCR support.

>>Why does the other directory exist?
>
>Good question. I'll ask the boot-floppies team.

Is this the Debian-boot mailing list?

>>How can I make the disks-i386-install-System install a kernel that
>>actually works on my system?
>
>By the sounds of things your first attempt should have worked. If it
>didn't, then when/where did it fail?

I failed it since it needed files from the
/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/2.1.8-1999-02-22 directory. I thought
"cool, there is a base system too, so I probably don't need that
/install stuff" and started over with the other base system.

Greetings
Marc