What has happened.

After not having time to follow this list (and only skimming through
-devel, -user and -private), I am positively surprised how many has
happend on this list in the past 3--4 weeks.

(Note: A summary of topics discussed in the last weeks follows. Skim
to the next paragraph without a preceding star, if you only want to
read my followup to various of these thoughts.)

* A new version of apt is available, with an apt-cdrom capable of
  doing multi-cd installations smoothly (hopefully). Thanks Jason.

* Again Dwarf proposed to rethink what "official CD" means. He would
  like to be able to add some extra packages to his CD's and still be
  able to call them official.

* Steve has done 2.1r2 images for i386, but failed to do so for
  sparc due to symlinks pointing to the unstable tree.

* Some changes to debian-cd have been made and Jim Westveer was able
  to build the binary #1 of potato with 243 dependencies missing.
  (What a number!).

* The dpkg-multicd problem has been addressed from various people.
  Steve McIntyre wanted to patch multicd, Heiko Schlittermann
  suggested to use his dpkg-multicd2 available from
  ftp://pu.schlittermann.de/pub/people/heiko/debian/dpkg-multicd/
  Joey asked to read and completely understand how the layout of the
  Packages.* files on the CDs should be, and Steve explained why he
  choose to deviate from the scheme. He was backed up by some of the
  CD vendors participating in the effort and reading this list.

* There might by a 3 CD binary set because gnome is now in the
  archives.

I have to say: S/N ratio is greater 90 dB here ;-)

I guess we can't get around providing Official images, because we have
no means to check the quality of CDs prepared elsewhere. (BTW I am
wondering how the LSB wants to address checking for conformity. The
only way I can think of, is to provide inhouse[1] checking of CDs.)

One thing which did not come up on this list (but on -devel I think) is:

How do we do quality checking with images? Do we want to send some
BETA images to a team of testers? It seems that though the freeze period of
slink was rather long, some bugs still slipped through.

I would like to keep the debian-cd script as release independent as
possible.  This means less work when a new cycle starts.  Maybe we
should provide some hooks so that it is possible to call release
specific scripts.

Jens

[1] inhouse meaning: CDs sent to a developer, checking them and
approving them.  This proposes the next question: How to check images
for being official?

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37