Re: Why No CDs For Release Updates ?

Tetchman@aol.com wrote:
> Now that the frenzy of the run-up to Slink release is dying down, I feel I can
> bother you folks with this, although I can only ask it in respect of Hamm at
> present :
>
> My company is installing a (slowly) growing number of Debian Linux systems (at
> least within *our* subsidiary), so I felt justified in downloading the Hamm CD
> images from Sunsite at Imperial College last year; we burned a number of CDs.
> What I got was 2.0-r3; after a while, I found announcements that -r4 and
> (later on) -r5 versions of the 2.0 release had been put together, largely to
> incorporate security fixes it seems. I went back to Imperial College to get
> updated images but the latest was always -r3.
>
> I know that Debian advice is to avoid downloading CD images, and instead to
> update a local FTP archive using "rsync" (or "apt" ?), but I don't think we
> can do this through our corporate firewalls. And in any case, I think my

If you can to HTTP or FTP through your firewall you can keep your
systems up to date with apt/dselect even without a local mirror.

> question still stands : why aren't updated CD images posted ?

They should appear.  If they don't the current maintainer is sleeping or
something.  If you notice this please try to remind him.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.