Re: Progress on m68k images

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > >Looks OK; I'd remove either the Install.sit.bin or the Install.sit.hqx
> > >files (redundant; actually they could both be removed as you will use
> > >mkhybrid --netatalk I guess). Same for Penguin*.bin. But that's just
> > >nitpicking :-)
> >
> > :-) Quite. The images are made now, anyway...
>
> Fair enough. Rather, I'm glad that's over, with your invaluable help.
>
> > >Can't wait to get one of these CDs to test ...
Are we really over, I mean _really_? I didnt come back at midnight to tell
about my tests of the CD... Ok, here we go:

In principle they are working fine on Amiga, most icons are they, amiboot is
executable and I started the installation with StartInstall_CV3D.
Some cosmetic problems, though, the drawers are a little too small
(install/amiga and esp the root of the CD) so you have to make them larger
to see everything whats inside. Not difficult, but not _so_ nice (if we got
money for the CDs ;-)
When I tested it via the MAC emulator it didnt want to boot, well, better
so. I guess its because penguin said MMU required, I guess the MMU is not
emulated... anyway, I could open all the drawers, only the icons are
cluttered wildly around. Maybe the info files would not be shown if there
are not in the resource tree (not that I know much about MAC filesystems,
but those files need not be visible on the MAC, I could see and read the
READMEs without info files).

Ok, now the problems: I installed on an empty partition, everything went fine
till I came to the modules section, my ethernetcard (ariadne2) is not
recognized. While probing for ariadne2 I get:
/lib/modules/2.0.36/apne.o not found
I get the same when I probe for apne, so I think there is a wrong entry
somewhere in the install setup? I checked all other eth cards then, they
load at least the correct module... why didnt I notice that before? I guess
its a little late for that now?
The other problem is /dev/mouse, after installing all that is needed for
xfree (using Chris' CDs from Feb 16th for the setup then) startx failed,
since /dev/mouse did not exist. I made a symlink to /dev/amigamouse and
everything went fine then.

To summarize, the CD is fully usable on Amiga, maybe we need an artist for
icons and stuff, only ariadne2 users are a little bitten since the module
isnt probed correctly (I know why I dont build that as module usually ;-)

Tataa!
Christian.