Re: slink_cd - progress

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, John Lapeyre wrote:

>        I just made some i386 images with slink-cd 0.09 and burned them
>and tested a little.  The mirror was uptodate wrt ftp1.us.debian.org
>early morining March 3rd (MST).
>
>        Everything worked OK.  The multicd method is very slow and
>awkward.  It seems that multiple CDs cannot be easily used with apt ?
>I used the multi-cd method.  Everytime I needed a new package, I
>didn't know which disk it was on and was forced to start dselect and
>watch it read package lists, etc.  The good news is everthing worked
>in installing, no big jams and crashing dpkg , which I have
>experienced before.
>
>        I installed a couple of non-free packages just to
>force it to use all three binary disks.  It, of course, installs
>packages out of order and causes dependency problems, but they were
>fixed quickly in the configuring stages.  I got fvwm2 up and running
>and quit.  Getting this far would be an extraordinarily difficult and
>frustrating task for someone who had never used unix.

OK...

>        I didn't edit the config files in slink-cd to
>remove non-existent local packages .  This causes dselect
>to complain that it can't find Packages.cd for local.  This
>is not a big deal, it can be fixed on my next try.

OK, I've left that alone - the local packages thing is a feature not a
bug, but we should probably document it better (at all?).

>        I found that non-us is not included even if I set the
>diretory in the slink_cd script and give non-us on the command line.
>I have to add lines to the slink2.list file to get them in.
>This may be what you intended , anyway.

It is, yes. Things used to be different, but as the release came up I
thought it was better to default to release-type behaviour and let other
people change things if necessary.

>The installation is slow and painful, but fairly smooth.

Good. Philip has some comments on this.

>        Thanks again for all the hard work.

And thank you for the effort in testing!

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
Also available from stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk