Re: Porter roll call for Debian Stretch

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 09:16:00PM +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Over all, most people (who answered it) was positive towards the switch.
>  Based on this, I suspect that if we make PIE default in Stretch, then
> we will do it for all architectures.  That said, you will be notified if
> that default changes for Stretch.

Is this just for ASLR, or is ther another motivating factor for PIE?

AFAIK Address space randomizing is not really helpful on 32 bit
architectures - there is just not that many places to randomize to[1].
At least previously, PIE added ~10% to binary size, which can have a major
performance impact on the 32-bit arm core's that don't have much cache to
begin with.

Riku
[1] https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~hovav/dist/asrandom.pdf