Re: Offering to help

Hello,

On 21/10/14 14:55, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> Whilst I don't currently run a Debian kfreebsd box I think that Debian
> kfreebsd is a good thing; and I understand that it is in danger of not
> being released as part of Jessie.  So in an attempt to put my money where
> my mouth is can I usefully help?

Thanks!  I recommend to simply try it out, but try to use it for
something actually useful to you, for example:

  * trial it on a desktop/laptop to do regular daily work tasks

  * use it to provide some new service on your home/office network, e.g.
fileserver, DNS/web cache, Debian mirror

  * try it as the server for some new development/hobby project, e.g.
using Apache/MySQL/PHP or alternatives

and then let us know what problems you have, any important
packages/features that are missing;  report any bugs, or difficulties
and share solutions for them if known.

By doing the above, you can actually get some direct benefit from using
it (if it works), we can make it more useful to people's real needs, and
get lots of feedback from software and hardware testing.

I was thinking there should be a page or whole section on the Debian
Wiki describing use cases, success stories etc.  There's a myth that
GNU/kFreeBSD is only useful as a router or firewall OS;  that's
something it is indeed good at (and we should still mention it) but I
hope we can list many other uses, with recommendations and create good
documentation on how to do it.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org