Re: Did we break update-grub?

On 22:48, Christoph Egger wrote:
> (grub will understand all needed
> metadata for booting the kernel if installing it was done on 10.0)?

Yep.  The d-i Beta 2 can install a sid or jessie system, but only until
10.1 migrates to jessie... after that the *second* boot of a newly-
installed jessie system could fail.

And in daily d-i builds with 10.1 kernel at install time, the grub-pc
installed in /target will be 2.00, so grub-probe is going to fail
for whole-disk ZFS installs.

> I'd still set a breaks on lower grub-pc on the next kernel update or
> something like that.

I don't think a Breaks could work as intended - like before with
freebsd-net-tools.  If newer grub-pc isn't installable in the current
suite, APT will uninstall either grub-pc or the kernel...

> > Or, trying to install a jessie system from sid d-i.
> > What we could do is set feature@lz4_compress=disabled in partman-zfs,
> > just temporarily, until the newer grub version migrates.
>
> Not sure how much work that is. If it's quick and easy I'd go for it.

I think I will do this, tonight.  It's the safest thing just in case
GRUB 2.02 somehow doesn't make the jessie release at all.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org