RFC: target FreeBSD version for Jessie - FreeBSD 10.1 Release schedule

Hi,

the FreeBSD 10.1 Release schedule have been announced [1], key dates:

Code freeze begins      5 September 2014
releng/10.1 branch      3 October 2014
RELEASE announcement    29 October 2014

Compare to Debian Jessie freeze schedule [2]:

5th of Sep - close down for transitions
5th of Oct - slowly start the freeze by increasing the testing migration delay to *10 days*.
5th of Nov - the version of your package *in testing* must be in its desired state for Jessie.

I think that we have two options:

a) Jessie with 10.0 codebase
b) Jessie close to 10.1 codebase as much as possible

cons of 10.1 over 10.0:
- work have to be done
- need to negotiate with Debian release team to get final 10.1 in

pros of 10.1 over 10.0:
- better coverage of current hardware
- better KMS support
- better security support during Jessie lifetime:
   10.0 eol [3] January 2015
   10.1 will be probably Extended release, estimate is therefore November 2016

We should expect delays, in both schedules, of course ;-)

Iff we take route b), we should ship snapshots of stable-10 into sid soon.

I believe, that b) is a better way,
even if we end with some pre-final 10.1 snapshot in Jessie.

Cheers

	Petr

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.1R/schedule.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/07/msg00002.html