Re: Bits from the Release Team: Architecture health check

On 29/01/2014 23:03, Niels Thykier wrote:
> I believe this is a first for us (as well) - at the very least, I won't
> claim to have all the answers.  Anyhow, as I see it, we want you to
> choose a set of supported packages, then we will probably ask how / why
> you made that choice and, quite possibly, poke a bit at making you
> choosing a slightly larger set etc.

Hi Niels,

After some discussion we've reached the following position statement, which
has the approval of Steven, Petr and myself:

It is with much regret that we observe that GDM has grown hard dependencies
on a Linux-specific component (systemd). Although GDM still offers the
possibility of running it using ConsoleKit, this codepath is no longer
supported by upstream, and ConsoleKit itself is considered deprecated
software and has been abandoned by its developers.

Furthermore, we observe that the GNOME UI has grown hard dependencies on GDM,
as well as other developments which make it impractical to run GNOME on
kernels other than Linux. Our understanding is that GNOME release managers don't
see this as a problem and are not actively trying to resolve this.

In this situation we do not think it's reasonably practical for us to continue
providing assistance to ensure portability of the GNOME desktop on GNU/kFreeBSD.

When it comes to individual applications, we'd like to support as many of
them as possible. As long as they are still intended to be portable by
their upstream developers, and that they don't have any hard dependency
on the GNOME desktop itself (i.e., they can be run as standalone apps), we
intend to continue providing porting assistance for them.