Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 02:47:14PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> On 14/02/2014 18:46, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > Well, we have an announcement today from Canonical - AIUI Upstart will
> > be discontinued after Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and they will switch to systemd:
> > http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
>
> I'm not familiar with Ubuntu politics. Is everyone in line with that decision?

About upstart as default, my understanding is that (i) defunding upstart
development will likely make that question moot cause the Ubuntu
community is very probably not interested in putting up the work now
that everybody else switches, (ii) I saw statements from other technical
board members before Mark's announcement that dropping upstart as
default is likely, now that Debian is moving to systemd for the Linux
ports.

The more interesting question is whether upstart will be continued as a
community project and/or supported as an alternative in Debian/Ubuntu.
Not sure about that.

Michael