Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

On 12/02/14 13:18, Robert Millan wrote:
> Or maybe backward compat? I hear some of the new init implementations
> support SysV.

SysV init scripts?

I thought this was obvious, or maybe I misunderstand what you mean.
*All* of the init systems that were discussed by the TC, even systemd
(for now), can use existing SysV init scripts.

This is important to know, because some (perhaps most) packages may not
bother creating systemd unit files at all for jessie, and continue to
fully maintain the SysV init scripts they already have.

And adopting any new init system for jessie is made considerably easier
by using the same init scripts as sysvinit.  SysV init scripts can be
overridden by creating a new runscript/job of the same name.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org