Re: ConsoleKit

On 08/02/2014 18:57, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2014-02-08, Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> wrote:
>> 3- Is there anything else?
>
> In cooperation with polkit figuring out when to elevate privileges. E.g.
> allowing the user sitting at the computer to e.g. mount usb sticks,

Unfortunately device automount broke much earlier, even on FreeBSD. IIRC
this happened during (because of) the HAL episode.

> handle poweroff and such things.

Poweroff by unprivileged users right? Thanks, I'll check if that actually
works.

> In your quest for logind feature replacements,

Well I'm not really looking for feature replacements. -release asked us which
components can we use in the release without compromising quality.

For each questionable component, I'm trying to bring up discussion on whether the
features it provides (the ones which actually work!) make it worth the effort we
spend on them.

For HAL it turns out that it does nothing! Nothing that works that is. It was
supposed to detect when a mouse is plugged, and it didn't. It was also supposed
to help desktop file managers enumerate devices, and it also didn't. So we were
basically spending effort to maintain a pile of useless, broken, abandoned code.

So I think HAL is not a valid candidate. And I think ConsoleKit probably isn't
either but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate to hear more opinions on this...