Re: target FreeBSD version for Jessie

On 29 December 2013 10:15, Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On 27/12/2013 16:24, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> Well the target freeze date was announced a little over one year in
>> advanced http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/10/msg00004.html
>>
>> Which should be sufficient time to land and start all transitions. One
>> can continue completing the transitions after the freeze date & fixing
>> FTBFS bugs. Which is another 3-4 months of development time (assuming
>> a short freeze).
>>
>> If 1.25 years is not long enough, i'm not sure what is =) granted
>> FreeBSD upstream is not going to release by Debian release freeze
>> schedules.
>>
>> I see that 10 is currently scheduled for 2nd January if it doesn't
>> slip. So it's a 8 months time window to start transitions, ~ 1 year
>> till Debian release - deadline to finish everything.
>
> We have plenty of time, but we don't have plenty of manpower. I'd just
> like to know where everyone stands wrt using FreeBSD 10.0 (as opposed to
> just shipping its kernel as an alternate option) for Jessie.

I am happy to help out. Granted my kFreeBSD specific knowledge is limited.

> If we're going to use 10.0, then I'd upload kfreebsd-kernel-headers 10.0
> to experimental right away. This would give us a lot more room to address
> FTBFS problems.

I think we do want to use 10.0 across the board. If i'm reading the
release charts right, 9.x generation support may drop off before
jessie end of security support, and i presume more upstream
development/maintenance will be moved over to the  11.x/10.x
generations.

Similarly I presume jessie will be releasing with eglibc 2.18 (or
maybe better)  which is also still in experimental.

Dimitri.