Re: target FreeBSD version for Jessie

On 27/12/2013 16:24, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Well the target freeze date was announced a little over one year in
> advanced http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/10/msg00004.html
>
> Which should be sufficient time to land and start all transitions. One
> can continue completing the transitions after the freeze date & fixing
> FTBFS bugs. Which is another 3-4 months of development time (assuming
> a short freeze).
>
> If 1.25 years is not long enough, i'm not sure what is =) granted
> FreeBSD upstream is not going to release by Debian release freeze
> schedules.
>
> I see that 10 is currently scheduled for 2nd January if it doesn't
> slip. So it's a 8 months time window to start transitions, ~ 1 year
> till Debian release - deadline to finish everything.

We have plenty of time, but we don't have plenty of manpower. I'd just
like to know where everyone stands wrt using FreeBSD 10.0 (as opposed to
just shipping its kernel as an alternate option) for Jessie.

If we're going to use 10.0, then I'd upload kfreebsd-kernel-headers 10.0
to experimental right away. This would give us a lot more room to address
FTBFS problems.