Re: grub on ZRaid2

Hi,

on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 00:18:13 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Did you create this pool yourself?

Yes, I'm using "Automated install, FreeDSB kernel 9" with manual partioning.

> Debian installer always creates zpools within MSDOS partitions, in order
> to leave room for embedding. If you created a full-disk pool, GRUB
> doesn't support this setup AFAIK.

Besides bug #651624 using full-disk pools, I created a 4 drive full-disk
pool with a logical volume mounted to /.
The drives have a MSDOS partition table with 1 primary partition formatted
as physical volume for ZFS.

Multidisk mode for the ZFS pool:
- Striped     GRUB installation is fine, booting via GRUB also.
- Mirror      GRUB installation is fine, booting via GRUB also.
- RAID-Z 1    GRUB installation fails.
- RAID-Z 2    GRUB installation fails.

BTW I never used ZFS before, so I created a 4 drive full-disk Mirror pool
and removed drive 2-4 after installation. System boots from drive 1 in any
slot... nice! Need to install GRUB on drive 2-4.

Regards,
Klaus

--
kmel@gmx.de