Re: grub -18 *may* break your system

Hi,

On 31/08/13 21:45, Christoph Egger wrote:
> Since I upgraded grub to -18 (and did a lot of other things without
> rebooting) I get into the rescue mode "checksum verification failed"
> -- same error for insmod normal. *Might* also be I broke my ZFS
> root. I'll now try recover my notebook.

A few times I've had GRUB unable to boot from ZFS for various reasons.
Now I prefer to make /boot a separate partition, and also move
/lib/modules into /boot/, making it a symlink to there.  That way
everything needed to boot the kernel is on plain UFS, but everything
else still ZFS.

I've always managed to recover ZFS though, using a wheezy install disk,
dropping to shell after the 'additional installer components' are
loaded.  Then 'zfs import' with optional arguments (mounting over the
top of the root filesystem is fine), but remember to mount /dev and
/proc, before trying to repair GRUB.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org