Re: Question about installing kfreebsd

On Sun, 26 May 2013, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

Hi again,

On 26/05/13 07:24, Bret Busby wrote:
Does Debian 7 kfreebsd require to be installed in a primary partition,
like FreeBSD and PC-BSD (which also uses the FreeBSD kernel)?

I'm not 100% sure but I think at least the root partition needs to be an
msdos primary partition, for the kernel to use it.

Any other partitions including /boot should probably work as logical
partitions, because the are mounted later, and GRUB2 should support them
too.

The situation may be different with ZFS however, as there is a chance
the kernel might be able to find a root pool even if it resides on
logical partition[s].  But again - not sure, and if I find the answer to
this I will update the FAQ.

Most ZFS guides I've seen recommend using GPT instead of MBR, making the concept of an "extended partition" irrelevant. Upstream's installer defaults to GPT (even for non-ZFS) these days, too, if I remember correctly.

-Ben Kaduk