Re: upcoming kfreebsd 9

2011/9/25 Petr Salinger <Petr.Salinger@seznam.cz>:
>> If it is, which combinations are possible and which aren't?  Currently
>> I know that:
>>
>> - 9.x kernel can be built with 8.x buildutils
>> - 9.x kernel can run with 8.x userland
>>
>> But I don't know if the reverse are true.
>
> And that is exactly the reason for having them in experimental
> and test possible combination.

Makes sense.  I would be very careful before moving them to sid though.

> In ideal world, wheezy will release with 9.x kernel (and utilities) only,

I don't agree with this.  "Legacy" releases *are* meant for
production.  And they're more mature/stable than "Production"
releases.  I think it's good for end users that they can choose (note:
Debian has given this choice for Linux a number of times, e.g. v2.4 /
v2.6).

> but it will be capable to run under squeeze 8.1 kernel correctly.

If you're concerned about upgrades, in upstream "Rebuilding world"
document kernel is updated first.  Shouldn't we do the same?
Different upgrade path may expose different problems.