Testing with VMWare Fusion... No virtual SCSI devices

Seems that none of the SCSI options work with the AMD64 mini.iso.. I
believe the device emulated is an LSI Logic SCSI adapter. (But am not
100% certain since VMWare Fusion settings are a bit more Opaque than
other VMWare releases). I am using the predefined FreeBSD64 settings
profile in VMWare Fusion.

I did manage to get it working with a virtual ATA controller though,
but got warning messages saying "Warning: Could not flush cache of
device /dev/ad0 - No such device."

Interestingly even though the installer didn't see the SCSI devices,
once I was booted off an install I did on a virtual ATA device, I did
see this in dmesg.:

Waiting 2 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <VMware, VMware Virtual S 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 320.000MB/s transfers (160.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
da0: Command Queueing Enabled
da0: 8192MB (16777216 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1044C)

and /dev/da0 exists (but all the other da* devices don't), and running
parted doesn't seem to see da0.

On the flip side networking works.. so there is a mostly working
"headless" config for VMWare Fusion, and most likely VMWare
Workstation.

One reason to get SCSI working is that VMWare ESXi does not seem to
have a virtual ATA controller available and only let's virtual SCSI
drives get added. (Pretty much all VMWare products provide an option
to run a virtual LSI Logic SCSI controller.) I am wondering if the LSI
Logic drivers that come with FreeBSD are proprietary blogs that got
stripped out of kfreebsd?

Please let me know if there is any more output I can provide, or if
someone wants to directly interact with the VM at DC10. (I will be at
DebConf for most of Thursday and alternatively can plan to meet up any
evening this week.)

Thanks,
-Brian