Re: DSO linking changes for wheezy

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 03:43:57PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> For wheezy I'm planning to change the linking behaviour for DSOs (turning
> on --as-needed and --no-copy-dt-needed-entries. The rationale is
> summarized in http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking. I would like
> to know about issues with these changes on some of the Debian ports, and
> if we need to disable one of these changes on some port.

While I understand the rationale for --no-copy-dt-needed-entries for
preventing encapsulation violations via indirect linking, I don't agree
with the use of --as-needed *at all*.  If a library has been explicitly
linked in, it shouldn't be removed.  This is an issue for fixing in
individual packages, not in the toolchain.

I can understand on using it on a per-package basis, but not in the
actual toolchain defaults.  The compiler and linker *should not be
second-guessing the user*.  This can break perfectly legitimate code
making use of ELF constructors and other features which won't be
picked out just by looking at symbol usage.

Thanks,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh