Re: r1301 - kernel config files

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:11:11PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just curious, should be 586 and 586-smp kernel really i586 only ?

I think the idea behind that is that if someone explicitly selects them for
install instead of the default "486" flavour, it's because she has a real 586
cpu.  Othewise she'd be installing 686.

OTOH, livecds (like ging) tend to use higher subcpu as default, since using
a livecd on real 486-based computer would run like crap.  Then maybe it makes
sense to provide 686.

As you can see, instead of sorting out the doubt I'm adding more to it :)