Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:52:43AM -0500, Perry E.Metzger wrote:

> > This is Debian, and we have around 10000 packages here. Why do we have to
> > support installing packages from the NetBSD pkgsrc archive?
>
> Are you deliberately misreading me? I wasn't saying anything about you
> supporting pkgsrc. I was explaining what "third party" means in this
> context, and why it is that we try to make our libc support everything
> we can.

Ah, excuse me I didn't fully understand you. Well, the number of supported
apps with Glibc is much bigger than the one with NetBSD libc.

> >> pth is not a real preemptive threads library. It doesn't work very
> >> well as a result. You need kernel support to do threads right, and the
> >> kernel support is necessarily intimately connected to the userland
> >> implementation that interfaces with it.
> >
> > I know that.
>
> Then why are you comparing "pth" to the job of making a kernel
> assisted pthreads system work? They are unrelated.

They can be API compatible if you follow POSIX, which is enough for now.

> For the record, if anyone OTHER than Robert is interested in
> discussing various things that NetBSD could do to make it easier for
> people to use our stuff with Debian, please get in touch with
> me. We're always interested in making improvements to our available
> APIs etc.

Since we still use the kernel of NetBSD, there are things you could do to
help in that regard. Do you want me to send you the details from now on?

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)