Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:22:53PM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> > All I have to say about the X server, as the person who generated most
> > of the patches, is that they're actually very straightforward, if rather
> > invasive. I simply had to go through each config option and decide whether
> > it should be handled in the 'native' way, or the GNU-userland way (and it
> > was very much a userland issue, not a libc issue).
> >
> > The *hard* part was in hunting down build problems and bad assumptions in
> > something the size of the X codebase. That isn't going to be any saner on a
> > Glibc+FreeBSD system; probably less sane, in fact.
>
> That was pretty much my experience, too. In fact, I tried to get it
> working on glibc, and had fits with it. I particularly remember xterm
> being a disaster. I gave up on it, and Robert evidently got it working
> except for the server. It probably needs some headers in <sys/> that
> glibc didn't get right.

Porting Xfree86 with Glibc was just a task of fixing minor build errors. Look
at my patches, most of them are one-liners.

As for xterm, there were only two hunks iirc. One to s/__GNU__/__GLIBC__/g
and another to include termios.h.

Just look at the comparison (in my local tree):

$ wc -l debian/patches/84* debian/patches/000_stolen_from_HEAD_netbsd.diff
   51 debian/patches/840_netbsd_bsdLib.rules_fix.diff
   36 debian/patches/841_netbsd_imake.c_fixes.diff
  190 debian/patches/842_netbsd_NetBSD.cf_fixes.diff
   26 debian/patches/843_netbsd_no_shared_OldX_lib.diff
   19 debian/patches/844_netbsd_no_kbd_mode_command.diff
  195 debian/patches/000_stolen_from_HEAD_netbsd.diff
  517 total
$ wc -l debian/patches/82*
 100 debian/patches/820_gnu-kbsd_config.diff
  16 debian/patches/822_gnu-kbsd_xload.diff
  37 debian/patches/823_gnu-kbsd_xterm.diff
 153 total

And note the name "gnu-kbsd", not "gnu-kfreebsd". None of these patches is
KFreeBSD-specific. 820, 822 and 823 actualy fix it for all new Glibc-based
GNU variants (even non-K*BSD ones).

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)