Re: Debian GNU/FreeBSD packages missing

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:46:16AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 02:19:58PM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > At the moment, I'm lucky to have email. Uploading hundreds of megabytes
> > isn't possible for me right now. When I can, I'll try to do something
> > about it, but it'll probably be at least a month.
> >
> > I'm planning to try to start back up again with native libc in a couple
> > months, after FreeBSD 5 begins to stabilize.
>
> I see that work on a GNU libc port has gone quite hard, and you consider
> now to give it up to start a BSD libc port.

Yes. The main problem is that it is very difficult to get /usr/include
to a usable state. glibc breaks compiling nearly all the sbin and
usr.sbin sources from the FreeBSD tree, and those are necessary. (It
also breaks bind9, due to severely screwed up headers in
/usr/include/inet.) I hadn't yet got to the point where I can compile
the kernel itself.

> If you have time or resource limitations to do anything now, that's fine;
> and if you think working on a BSD libc port is better, that's fine too, but
> please don't hide your work on the GNU libc port because someone else might
> be willing to take it on.

I have severe resource constraints right now. I don't want to hide what
I've done. But as I said, I'm lucky to have email access. That is only
due to the generousity of friends, as is the roof over my head.

	--Nathan