Re: anybody there ?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 08:04:20AM -0500, Mike wrote:
> Has anyone thought of trying to graft the NetBSD kernel onto a Linux
> binary userland? Or, to put it another way, of running userland under
> Linux binary emulation? The reason I ask this is that with some
> sufficiently hacked scripts, and GRUB it seems to me that it might be
> possible to run GNU/Linux and GNU/NetBSD off the same partition.

Well, I stuffed a full debian system under /compat/linux on NetBSD,
just to see what happened. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't end up
pursuing it. See
http://web.mit.edu/tibbetts/www/netbsd-debian-compat.html though the
instructions are a bit out of date (they include using a potato
base.tgz)

> This would probably require some fresh development, but I'm game.

Well, you run into the challenge of getting things like ifconfig, and
other OS-specific stuff working. I'm not sure that the payoff is
significant.

tibbetts