Re: Autoconf build targets

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:43:28PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> >Weird. Have you tried with the ash from Debian? Could you paste the lines
> >failing and error from MAKEDEV?
>
> Yes, that's what I'm using for MAKEDEV now. The errors I'm getting with
> MAKEDEV look like this. (There are a lot of them.)
>
> skaro:/dev# /sbin/MAKEDEV all
> MAKEDEV: line 1292: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
> MAKEDEV: line 1292: `   )'
>
> However, there are quite a few other places where /bin/sh is used.
> Particularly, BSD make calls /bin/sh by default, and some of the
> Makefiles failed until I changed make to use /usr/bsd/bin/sh.

I didn't know that ash had any non-POSIX extensions. does BSD make
work with the ash from Debian? then you should put it to use the
standard ash location

> I'm not sure this is the way to go. We'll have to see. pmake package
> won't work, it'd have to be FreeBSD's make.

oh, i thought pmake was from FreeBSD/NetBSD

> I'd like to use Debian tcsh when I get it to work. For install, make,
> find, xargs and some of the others, I think the setup I have now is a
> better solution, since they conflict badly with the GNU ones.
>
> Remember, these are used almost exclusively to build the kernel and
> libc. Reliability is more important here than beauty.

I'd like to see wether the BSD people would accept their kernel and libc
scripts to become POSIX compliant :)

cheers,

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992