Re: group id of newly created nodes

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 11:32:13AM -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> > So I thought I would just give you a heads up on this issue, because it
> > really puzzled me, and maybe you want to check if your builds are all fine.
> > Candidates are dpkg, base-files, and debianutils because their debian/rules
> > commands are not careful enough to explicitely set the group to root.
>
> Then that's a bug in the rules of those packages. It's sloppy, and needs
> to be fixed.

I agree.  Luckily, I kept a list of such packages as I found them.  There
might be more (actually, I would assume that there are more).

base-files_3.0.2
debianutils_1.16
dog_1.7-3.1
dpkg_1.9.20
ffingerd_1.28-4.1
freecdb_0.62
ftplib-dev_3.1-1-4
ftplib3_3.1-1-4
mpack_1.5-7
netenv_0.82-12
netris_0.5-4
passwd_20000902-12
scalemail_0.0.2001.08.19
tetradraw_2.0.2-4
xxkb_1.6-4
autopilot
fidogate
hextype
kimwitu++
larswm
linleech
libpng2

This is out of 1400 binary packages.  Assuming the the other 1380 packages are
fine (which is a bold assumption already), you can extrapolate how much
packages can be expected to have this problem.

> Thanks for the heads-up. I believe the scripts should be fixed,
> regardless. They don't handle that behaviour, and they don't fail
> either. That's a bug, because this can happen even on Linux.

Interesting to know, thanks for this info.

> That mount option might be useful for finding this particular packaging
> problem. Someone could put an autobuilder on a filesystem like that, then
> run a script that scans packages for the group id the build was run
> under. Wouldn't be hard, dpkg -c foo.deb | grep sbuild might work.

Yes, that's how I found the above list.  I took the Hurd autobuilder output,
listed the content, sed'ed out the group and owner and sort'ed/uniq'ed it.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de