Re: Installer annoyance - a bug? [SOLVED - loop mount .iso images]

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 05:23:47AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/06/2021 09:51 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 07:48:06AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > There is *functional/quality/?* difference between an install from a
> > > physical CD/DVD and from an "equivalent" flash drive.
> >
> > There's no functional difference: the .iso image is exactly the same.
>
> YOU ARE IN ERROR!
> There IS a functional difference *BECAUSE* the the image is identical.
> There is a hard-coded ASSUMPTION that the installation medium is a physical
> DVD.

There is no functional difference. None whatever.

I have just installed a machine from scratch using a flash drive with the
image of DVD1 written to it using dd.

-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 3972317184 Jun  7 16:19 debian-10.9.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

The .iso images are hybrid - so bootable from either physical media or USB.

I used the expert install method. I disconnected any ethernet cables. I did
not include any firmware. When the installer detected network hardware, I let
DHCP fail and selected to not configure the network at this time.

I selected a minimum install set - text only, no GUI so unchecked the box
for a desktop environment, unchecked the box for printing but did select an
ssh server - when this is put on a network, I might want to SSH into it.

That installed a bare minimum - 116 packages or thereabouts.

I rebooted the machine, having removed the flash drive at the appropriate
point.

/etc/apt/sources.list referenced DVD1 - all other entries were commented out
because the machine had no network.

I then replaced the flash drive with DVD1 on once the machine had safely
booted.

I ran the dmesg command as root to find out where the flash disk had been
mounted. On this machine it was /dev/sdc - the last line of the dmesg output.

I ran apt-cdrom add to see which mount point it needed the medium to be
mounted to. The default is /media/cdrom

I then loop mounted the drive to get access to the iso file system

mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /media/cdrom

cd /media/cdrom, type ls and you see the file structure of the iso file that
you booted from.

At that point, running apt-cdrom add and hitting enter a couple of times and
you can install packages e.g. apt install vim

umount /media/cdrom - unmounting the flash drive effectively - and you're
done.

If you have other .iso files for DVD2, DVD3, DVD4 or whatever on a USB stick
do exactly the same for those .iso files.

If you then install a large metapackage like GNOME, you may be prompted to
change disks - you now know how to do that.

If you want to get fancy, you can mount all four DVDs to different
mount points and use apt-cdrom to add them all at once.

>From what I understand from your earlier posts on debian-user you don't like
loop mounting but it is the way to do this in the canonical way.

The files - and the installer - behave identically for physical disks or
for .iso images when loop mounted.

Hope this helps - glad to be of use to someone who searches for this again

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater