Re: NIC not detected, unable to install (weekly + daily mini-iso)

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:42:33PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:
> Umm... this is an old netbook, the NIC adapter has always been working,
> it's a very common chipset.
>
> Good point.
>
> While this is a 2 GiB RAM netbook, last time I checked only i386 and
> -pae kernel were working, but I can try again with amd64 image.
>
> (testing right now...)
>
> Well, the net-iso (64 bits) just loads fine. Logs here say (I must have
> mispelled the ID before):

Well it is an atom based machine.  Some were 64 bit capable, some
were not.

> «r8169 0000:01:00.0 unknown chip XID 240».

Yeah the driver does not have that id in it.  I guess it was a version
used only by HP/Compaq and no one ever tried to run linux on it or at least
no one that did cared about wired networking.  It might be a trivial case
of adding the id to match one of the other revisions to make it work,
but without the datasheet it is hard to know.

> Again, no wired NIC available.
>
> My netbook is a Compaq Mini CQ10-520ES, currently running a looong-
> standing Debian testing version and... well, okay, kernel says the same,
> the NIC card is not being recognized, same message «unknown chip XID
> 240».
>
> As this computer always uses the wireless adapter, I simply ignored the
> wired NIC had been unavailable until now.
>
> This can be relevant:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-nettool/+question/689563

Given it has HP as the subsystem id in the link, I suspect this id is
a custom branded chip made for HP which hence has a unique ID, but is
probably otherwise identical to another id.

The wireless probably requires firmware, so it might work if booted with
the non-free firmware version of the installer.

--
Len Sorensen