Re: Completely switch graphical installer to fonts-noto?

Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:
> I would have created various screenshots, from the original and the new
> installer screens. However, if you are volunteering for that... ;-))

After talking with Jonas, I made a bunch of screenshots for this proposal.
I ran two QEMU instances side-by-side, thus every screenshot has the old and
the new font for the respective langugage (the old one is left, the new noto
is at the right!)
It's simply the first dialog after choosing the language ("choosing location").

For most languages this approach is perfectly fine, means the resolution is
sufficient.
However for some languages it might be a bit to small, but we will see how it
goes. If necessary, we can make other screenshots on real hardware of similar.

So, now the results:
All in all, it looks good to me!
For me, the fonts in nearly all languages look better readable; the lines
are a bit finer, which improves readability. Of course I am talking as a
non-mothertongue reader here!

For very few languages, the text uses noteworthy more place than before, which
might lead to some shortage of place in specific screents.
Will need to look into this further.
This probably affects: Arabic, Dzongkha, Tibetan and Uyghur.

All the screenshots compressed are about 19MB, so I have uploaded them again
to gofile: see https://gofile.io/?c=65DwFs

Best regards
Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076