Re: Remove of lilo-installer

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi Thorsten!
>
> On 4/2/20 10:30 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:
> >
> >> No idea what the stance on i386 is. But I think Thorsten is a LILO user.
> >
> > No, I haven’t been using LILO for a long time either.
>
> Okay, bad memory on my side then :).
>
> > I _did_ use it about a decade ago, when I got back to Debian
> > after using only BSD for a while, but even before that, I
> > used loadlin more, and discovered grub during the BSD-only
> > time (considering it could do PXE).
>
> OK.
>
> > Why the removal? Does it not work any more for some reason?
>
> The LILO package itself isn't being removed.

lilo's removal seems on the way.
>From lilo's changelog:

lilo (1:24.2-5) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Add file debian/NEWS to point out that lilo package is deprecated
    and its install package will vanish as by the end of year 2020.
    Move to e.g. grub2 is recommended.
  * debian/control:
    - Bump Standards Version to 4.4.1 (no changes).
  * debian/patches:
    - 10: add new patch, fix manpage lilo.conf.5. Closes: #919741

 -- Joachim Wiedorn <joodebian@joonet.de>  Tue, 10 Dec 2019 23:41:00 +0100

NEWS says:

lilo (1:24.2-5) unstable; urgency=medium

 Lilo is at the end of development for some years. Finally the
 Debian package of lilo will be marked as deprecated and will
 vanish as install package by the end of year 2020. Lilo will
 removed well before the transition freeze of bullseye.

 I recommend to move to another bootloader e.g. grub2 in the
 next months.

> > Or is this just about the d-i integration?
>
> Yeah, it's just about removing src:lilo-installer. I assume everyone keen
> enough these days to use LILO can install it manually anyways.

see above

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076