Question about building a full bootable image using (Debian 7)

Hi, I am sending this to you guys in a sort of last resort desperation.
 As it only relates to Debian as that is my current build environment.

Help Please.

My problem how to build a bootable iso image file (not of Debian)

I have an iso file [for an early version of UNIX (x86_32 code)].  I have stripped the files into a directory, then copied them (via tar)  into my iso build directory, made my modifications I am OK up to that point.

My Question is:
How do I create a new bootable iso image file from my build directory ready for burning onto a DVD. I tried just burning the build directory tree but did not boot (I suspected as much but did it anyway). I am obviously missing as step maybe tools. target is a 486 bare machine and a P6 machine in both cases without an O/S, what on the DVD will eventually end up on the HD, once the DVD "works".
Any help appreciated, and I know this sort of an oddball question.

[please CC me directly with your solution, thank you.

regards, Dave :-) (Ps not a newbie).