Re: Debian Installer Buster Alpha 4 release

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 01:18:59AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 11:00:25AM +1100, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >I was trying to download the netboot image for amd64,
> >because the one I have (2018-12-06) has a segfault in libc6.
> >
> >The link on the installer team page
> >   https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> >for the _netinst_ image points at
> >
> >https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/buster_di_alpha4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-buster-DI-alpha4-amd64-netinst.iso
> >
> >and it seems to download fine.
> >
> >When I mount the iso image, README.txt says the version is
> >Debian GNU/Linux buster-DI-alpha4 "Buster" - Official Snapshot amd64
> >NETINST 20181206-23:37
>
> By "the iso image", you mean... ?

sorry, I mean the debian-buster-DI-alpha4-amd64-netinst.iso image
that I downloaded from the link above.

> >Question:
> >Are we sure all the images are in sync?
> >I have faith in Steve's team but thought I should ask all the same.
> >Is there a way to check the _netboot_ image is from the same
> >set of sources as the _netinst_ ?
>
> The images team doesn't make the _netboot_ image - that comes straight
> out of the d-i build.
>
> So... the path to the current buster netboot image also points to the
> same d-i build (20181206) that was used for the d-i alpha 4
> netinst/CD/DVD build. From my local mirror:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 mirror users    8 Dec  6 19:08 current -> 20181206
>
> But... The problem you're most likely seeing is caused by a simple
> fact. The *netboot* image ends up downloading significant chunks of
> the installer and the base system at runtime from the suite it
> targets. For buster, that is still very much a moving target and it's
> likely to already have incompatibilities with the released 20181206
> netboot image.
>
> Netboot images are *only* useful and safe when they exactly match the
> state of the Debian release they're targeting. That's either a stable
> release, or within a couple of days of the build happening if you're
> looking at testing.
>
> For any other purposes, IMHO you're massively better off using a
> _netinst_ image instead. Or install stable and upgrade.
>
> Hope that helps!

It does help and I will try to set up netinst booting/install.
We usually use netboot because it's convenient and works just fine
during the course of a release.

I tried installing wth the daily installer, built on 20181216-00:11,
using the same hardware. That worked just fine, as one might expect.

Thanks again
Vince