kernel modules missing Stretch net installation

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=737750 seems to be the only installer bug about missing kernel modules. Has something changed about the way HTTP installation started from Grub works since Jessie? I tried on two different machines yesterday and today with same result (installer can't find any hard disks), using the only (and >3 months old) installation kernel and initrd I could find for Stretch on the mirrors. I have a minimal/base Jessie installation running now from which I'll dist-upgrade when it finishes, but this sure is a time wasting hard way to get Stretch onto a machine that doesn't already have Debian on it and can't boot from OM or USB but has no such problem from HD.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/