Re: base system size

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 02:48:12AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Now that perl is out of the base system again, I've had a look at the
> figures of a base system install. We're ~80Mib bigger, from 277MiB to
> 360MiB:
>
> - aptitude is not installed by default any more -> -18MiB
> - grub got 12MiB bigger.
> - wget now depends on libicu52, 27MiB.
> - linux-image got 37MiB bigger
> - systemd takes about 12MiB more than sysvinit
> - udev got 5MiB bigger.
> - util-linux got 1.3MiB bigger, and added 5MiB locale data
> - various bloat and optimizations (bash got 1MiB bigger for instance)

I was going to say something about this yesterday, but postponed the email!
On a minimal system having a custom kernel, these are the installed sizes:

   27324 libicu52
   15877 locales
   14995 grub-common
   13855 coreutils
   11362 systemd
   10220 libc6
   [...]

Maybe wget is too bloated for the base system?

OTOH, 277 to 360 is just a 30% increase, in approximately two years,
which is probably expected following Moore's law...