d-i: How is the installer for the bootloader called?

Hi all,

During the last few months we have invested quite some time to bring the
hppa arch back into shape for debian-ports. Up to now we have more than 9700 up-to-date
packages available: http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?a=hppa&suite=sid

I've even been able to build an install-CD and a netinst-CD (both via xorriso!) which are
currently available here: http://mkhppa3.esiee.fr/

Both of those CD's do work and let me fully install debian-unstable on hppa from the debian-ports
repository, the only missing thing which isn't working right now is, that the palo bootloader is
not being installed, which leaves the system unbootable afterwards.

For building the debian-installer I've used the partman-palo and palo-installer
package sources which I pulled from the d-i attic repo. (THANKS that you didn't deleted them,
but only moved them to the attic!!!).
The udebs for partman-palo and palo-installer are included on the CDs.
But during installation, those don't seem to be called and/or installed.
Maybe someone here on the list can give me a hint, how/when the debian partitioner
(or who else?) calls which bootloader is being installed? Any hint here would be great!
Are trace files written somewhere, which would enable me to debug this?

Furthermore I've found that the base-installer/kernel/hppa.sh file (and the tests there)
needs updating. I'll look into those soon. But maybe people here can give me other
hints, at what code parts of the d-i I should look and which would need updating too?

Thanks,
Helge