Re: Trying to install Wheezy on an Asus Zenbook UX32VD

On Sun 25 Nov 2012 at 17:47:07 +0100, Bart-Jan Vrielink wrote:

> On 24-11-12 21:47, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >
> >When you boot the installer on your system, do you see a grub boot
> >menu or an isolinux boot menu?
>
> At first I used the mini.iso file. That one only showed an isolinux
> (I assume, I did not recognize it as grub) option. With that one, I
> eventually managed to do a test-install using "classic" grub2.
> However, the installer tries to install to /dev/sda, which is the
> USB stick I booted from. Please try to make it smart enough to pick
> /dev/sdb (which I did manually).

When you relate ". . . the installer tries to install to /dev/sda, . ."
do you mean it tried and failed or it tried and succeeded?

GRUB tells you:

     If all of your operating systems are listed above, then it
     should be safe to install the boot loader to the master
     boot record of your first hard drive.

In fact, GRUB will always install to /dev/sda, which may or may not be
the MBR of your first hard drive. I do not know why this screen cannot
say GRUB will go in the MBR of /dev/sda.

Also, how could GRUB guess you really wanted it in the MBR of /dev/sdX?
I think this is why you are given the opportunity to decline its offer.