Re: Trying to install Wheezy on an Asus Zenbook UX32VD

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Bart-Jan Vrielink wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the latest beta of the Wheezy installer to get an OS on my
> new Zenbook.

I also have a zenbook, so I ran into similar issues, but this was
before EFI support was added.

> I did this by DD'ing the netboot iso to an USB stick. This seems to work, I
> can boot from this USB stick and start the installer.
>
> The first challenge I get is that my Wifi needs to load some firmware files.
> There is a partition labeled Firmware that supposedly is for that, but no
> matter what I try (either the .deb files, or the firmware files itself),
> they do not get picked up. I've worked around this problem by using a wired
> Ethernet connection instead.

You actually have to copy the firmware files onto that partition yourself:
http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

> The second challenge is getting a boot loader to work. I cannot find an
> option in the BIOS to set it to "classic" mode, so it looks like I have to
> go the EFI route. However, the installer only offers me to install grub-pc
> and not grub-efi. Has anyone getting the installer to work with EFI? Exactly
> what partitions should I have for this?

At the end of the install (after grub-pc installed), I used one of the
virtual consoles to install grub-efi-amd64, and essentially followed
these steps:
http://womble.decadent.org.uk/blog/installing-debian-gnulinux-and-windows-dual-boot-under-uefi.html

Again, this was pre-EFI, so if these things aren't working in an
automated fashion, you should really submit a bug report.

Best wishes,
Mike