Re: Manual: Xfce isn't the default desktop environment

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 05:28:50PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch04s01.html I read:
> | As CDs have a rather limited capacity by today's standards, not all
> | graphical desktop environments are installable with only the first CD;
> | only XFCE (which is the default desktop environment installed by
> | Debian GNU/Linux 7.0) completely fits on the first CD. For all other
> | desktop environments a CD installation requires either network
> | connectivity during the installation to download the remaining files
> | or additional CDs.
>
> That isn't quite right.

Hello,

at the time of writing this was actually the current state of
things in svn/git.

The change to XFCE as the default desktop environment has later
been reverted, but from the bits of information I gathered from
the mailinglists I got the impression that a final decision has
not yet been achieved, in particular because of the space
problems on CD1.

I have not yet tried d-i beta 4 due to time constraints, but my
last state of information before the release of beta 4 was that
an installation of GNOME and KDE with only CD1 and no network
mirror results in a non-working desktop environment, so I have
not yet changed this text.  Can anybody confirm that with beta 4
a CD1-only installation actually results in a working GNOME/KDE
environment?  Has there been a _final_ decision about the default
desktop environment for wheezy?

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der