Re: Fwd: Experience and problems in installing wheezy b-4

On Fri 23 Nov 2012 at 20:05:23 +0530, L V Gandhi wrote:

> Yes. You are correct. As old habit, I used unetbootin to prepare bootable
> usb pen drive. Any how as per user manual, cp and sync helped.
> But I would like to know what to do, when there is no existing linux
> installation in a machine?

You read the CD FAQ and the Installation Guide. It is one of the first
things people should do. In neither will you find any advice on how to
write a Debian ISO to a USB stick under, say, Windows. So then you fall
back to something you have used before or you do a search. You might
find something helpful like this:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2012/11/msg00049.html

> I think machine needs more time to get connected with wifi if it is in
> more distance from router. When I placed my laptop near router it got
> connected easily. Hence configuration parameter of time to wait for wifi
> get configured should be left to user. I think at present after a min , it
> restarts the question process. This does not solve problem. If continuously
> may be for 2 or 3 mins adapter tries, then connection occurs.

I think the association timeout is determined by wpa_supplicant and not
anything D-I might do. As far as I know it is not configurable from
within the supplicant.

My experience is that if association and authentication do not take
place within a short time (20 seconds?) it will not happen over a longer
time. Switching my AP off and on is an occasional thing I have to. The
wireless adapter is also a factor (I avoid using the one internal to my
laptop), as are hidden ESSIDs. Etc, etc.

Anyway, you are able to use WiFi to install Debian, so it is not all bad
news. :)

> As I said earlier, I am using wheezy-kde-amd version in both b-3 and b-4.
> With task selection of debian desktop, ssh server,laptop and last option,
> it installed only GNOME not KDE. Any help in this regard welcome.

I'm of little use here. Press TAB when the splash screen comes up. KDE
should be mentioned on the kernel booting line.