Re: [pkg-wpa-devel] libnl3 soname change

Hi

On Monday 19 December 2011, Heiko Stübner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 15 Dezember 2011, 22:13:43 schrieb Stefan Lippers-Hollmann:
> > On Thursday 15 December 2011, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Heiko Stübner wrote:
[...]
> > For iw (which is needed by crda's udev rules), it would be nice to
> > have libnl.so.3 and libnl-genl.so.3 in /lib/ (#622247: iw binary should
> > be installed in /sbin). The wpasupplicant package would also profit
> > from that (#537790), although it is haunted by openssl and zlib as
> > dependencies well.
>
> As libnl seems to be used by a lot of system-level programs, should only these
> two libs move to /lib or all?

Looking at the reverse dependencies, these packages appear to profit
from libnl3 being available from /lib/.

libnl3:
	iw - tool for configuring Linux wireless devices
		executed from a udev rule (shipped by crda) to set regulatory domain
		hints for mac80211 based wlan drivers

	wpasupplicant - client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i)
		e.g. nfs mounting /usr/ over wpa/ wpa2 encrypted wlan

libnl2:
	<apparently none critical>

libnl1:
	crda - wireless Central Regulatory Domain Agent
		udev rule to set regulatory domain hints for mac80211 based wlan
		drivers, can be switched to libnl-3 trivially (I'm going submit an
		according patch upstream and to Debian)

	ipcfg - Network configuration system
		ifupdown replacement (experimental only), currently located in
		/usr/bin/ would need porting to libnl3

The other reverse dependencies of the various libnl variants appear not
to be required during early boot, before /usr/ gets mounted, at a first
glance.

iw, wpasupplicant (hostapd) and crda only need libnl-3.so.200 and
libnl-genl-3.so.200.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollman