Re: Review of console-setup wrt D-I [very long]

On Sunday 28 June 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > In that case there really _should_ be a "Netherlands - Dvorak" layout
> > as well.
>
> If someone could implement the dutch dvorak, sure. Remember that dvorak
> is per-language. You can always use the english dvorak for Dutch, but
> that's not efficient.

It is a necessary consequence of the proposal to make the *country* the
primary selection mechanism instead of selecting the correct nationality
for the standard.
If you want to do that you have to make sure *all* keyboard variants ever
sold in any reasonable numbers in a country need to be listed for that
country.

> > What could possibly work is some ability to define cheap symlinks, but
> > duplicating entire layouts really is insane (IMHO).

> xkb uses cheap symlinks. They just need to be defined. Talk with the
> upstream bug report, really.

No thanks, I have no interest in helping to promote an insane scheme.