Re: Review of console-setup wrt D-I [very long]

On Sunday 28 June 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> Eh, I *am* an NL person... I thought I'd already made my comments clear
> and explained the Dutch situation. Both in this thread and the BR from
> Kurt about Altgr (#524235).
>
> 1) Some time ago I set the default in c-s for NL to 'us' (r58049).
> 2) "Origin" as question sucks majorly.
> 3) Both Dutch keymaps and American English keymaps are in use, but the
>    Dutch ones are a relatively small minority.
> 4) If one of the variants currently listed under "Netherlands" really
>    is the American English layout then that is absolutely not obvious.
>    I would *NEVER* have understood that from the current descriptions.
> 5) Dutch people very much *do* still type accented characters. Accented
>    characters are an important element of the language. Just see the
>    Dutch D-I PO files translation of the manual. My personal preference
>    when using an American English keyboard is to define right alt as
>    compose key for that.
> 6) Both the Dutch and American English keyboards in NL do sometimes
>    have the € symbol; I've seen it on on both the 5 key and the e key.
>    I have no idea how many do (not) have it and how many have it on
>    5/e.

What we probably should check is what keyboard config default Windows
installs use in NL and see if we can match that.
I'll see if I can gather some info about that and also check where the €
key is on systems currently being sold here. But that will take time.