Re: [RFC] Listing USB devices in hardware-summary

On Thursday 18 June 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Why is "Manufacturer:" reporting something like "Linux 2.6.29-1-686
> uhci_hcd". There's the same in what you reported in indeed in

You'd have to ask the upstream kernel people...
Seems to be some kind of default for hubs.

> /proc/bus/usb/devices but your examples shows clearer things such as
> "Hewlett Packard" when showing the output of /proc/bus/usb/devices.

That is very much device-dependent. For my system it shows that for
some "real" peripheral devices like my USB printer.

lsusb shows more meaningful descriptions, derived from decoding the vendor
and product IDs, but those would only be available by using a C program
(i.e, we'd have to include lsusb in D-I).

> I also wonder if it could be possible to get the equivalent of
> "Product". There seem to be useful information there, isn't it?

The product info is already included in the first line!